Mushrooms add unique flavours and textures to a meal. Yet it’s now their tremendous powers to enhance the functioning of our immune system, and act as super probiotics, that’s caught our attention.
- 2 x tin 400g (14 oz) organic red kidney beans
- 600g (21 oz) mixed portobello and shiitake mushrooms
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 4 slices of sourdough bread, to serve
- Heat a medium-sized pot to medium heat. Add the water and onions, continuously moving them around to sauté until they have become translucent. Then add the garlic for 30 seconds of cooking.
- Add the dried thyme and mushrooms. Sweat for another five minutes, until they are more or less evenly browned.
- Pour over the stock, then add the beans, and gently simmer for 20 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables and liquid to a blender; pulse till liquid but still ‘grainy.’ (You can also do this with a hand-held blender.)
- Serve hot with a couple of slices of freshly toasted sourdough bread
Please leave a comment below or share your picture on Facebook (tag @vegrevival) or Instagram (@lyncowie). I’d love to see your successes!