This French onion soup is worth shedding a tear over – it’s sublimely delicious!
Try it with the Cashew Cheese Spread.
French Onion Soup
Recipe Type: Soup
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 5 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
Serves: 6 main
It’s surprising how such a simple soup can deliver such deep flavour. Keep the soup plant-strong by accompanying it with a quick-to-make nut-based cheese spread on a slice of toasted bread.
- 6 large white onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. grape seed oil (you can use olive oil)
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups liquid stock (not dehydrated stock mixed into water)
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. dry thyme (or 1 tsp. chopped fresh)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- Fresh chives or green onions, for garnish
- 6 slices of Companio bread
- Serve with Cashew Cheese Spread
- To make the caramelised onions, trim the ends off the onions, cut them in half vertically and peel. Remove the core and thinly slice the onion vertically (from the core to the opposite end).
- Preheat a large (28 cm or 11″ base), heavy-bottomed pot over high heat. Once hot, add the oil and onions. Cover the onions to help bring out some of their moisture.
- After about five minutes, uncover, add the salt, and stir. Leave uncovered and reduce the heat to medium low. Continue to stir from time to time, so they brown evenly. This will take between 45 minutes to an hour.
- If the onions start to brown unevenly, you can add a little bit of water. This will help to even out the colour. As they start to caramelise, you will need to stir more frequently. When done, they will sort of melt into each other and be a rich brown colour.
- Then add vinegar and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan. When vinegar has evaporated, add the bay leaves, thyme, black pepper and the water and liquid stock.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 40 minutes and then remove bay leaves.
- While simmering you can prepare the delicious cashew cheese spread and toast.
- Remove the bay leaves and ladle onion soup into bowls. Garnish with chives or green onions and serve.