Oh, are you and your family in for a treat?! This wholesome soup is incredibly delicious, as it is nutritious.
- If you haven’t yet given your family a variety of dishes using cannelini beans, here’s betting they’ll love their soft texture and creamy taste.
- Then there’s the liquid smoke not to miss out on either. So, fellow South African’s, be sure to either order it through Woolies or HERE.
Smoky White Bean Chowder
Recipe Type: Soup
You’re sure to love the flavours and simplicity of this thick chowder perfect for any day of the week, any season of the year.
- 1 Tbsp. nondairy butter, olive oil, or water for sautéing
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2½ cups vegetable broth or water (600 ml) with a veggie bouillon cube
- 2 large yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup (240 ml) plain soy creamer or ½ cup (120 ml) canned coconut milk mixed with ½ cup (120 ml) water
- 3 cups or two 15-ounce cans (420 g) navy, Great Northern, or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ to 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika or red chili flakes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat the butter, oil, or water in a large, flat-bottomed soup pot.
- Add the onion and garlic, and sauté over medium heat until they are softened and slightly caramelized, about 4 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrots, and stir well. Add the bay leaves, broth, and potatoes.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft. Check occasionally, and give the soup a stir.
- Stir well, and mash slightly using a potato masher, breaking up the potatoes a bit. You may also use an immersion blender to do this, but I wouldn’t puree the potatoes completely; you want the result to be thick but chunky.]
- Add the creamer, beans, liquid smoke, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper. Simmer for another 15 minutes, uncovered, allowing flavors to blend.
- Stir well. The soup should be chowder thickness. If it is too thin, simmer uncovered for 10 minutes more. If it is too thick, add a small amount to broth or creamer to thin. Garnish with parsley and shredded carrots.
Copyright 2015. Reprinted with permission from The 30-Day Vegan Challenge: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Healthfully and Living Compassionately by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.
Photo by Maria Villano Photography.